Tuesday, June 22, 2010

'You are with me still' - video with Caleb Clements

This is one of those songs that, every time you lead, someone comes up after and says, "wow, that song was so powerful." Each time they quote a different line and say how it touched them.

It was written and refined by a group of guys in Orange County, CA and actually around the world, birthed at a church named Rockharbor. Have a listen.


You Are With Me Still - Story & Song from ROCKHARBOR WORSHIP on Vimeo.

For the charts and lyrics go to the Rockharbor Worship website, Click here.

For me, every time I listen I have a new favorite part. The song takes a different approach to worship than we have seen recently in our worship services. It follows the 'other 50%' of the Psalms and deals with the hard times. The painful times. The times when you really don't FEEL like God is right there with you. Yet, the hook in the song really gives the listener a sturdy ground to stand on. "You are with me still."

When all is dark and hope is gone
And silence has become my song
When doubt has closed me in, You are with me still

When strength is overcome by fear
Your presence feels no longer near
When sorrow’s night descends, You are with me still

One line of the song (that is not actually on the video) shows an aspect of response in the midst of repeated suffering and pain. It says, "My calloused heart and weary soul, will turn to trust in you." I picture this one... calloused and weary, beat-up by life and feeling like you are stuck in a washing-machine on the heavy setting. Just over and over pain - hurting - pain - hurting.

Though favor’s touch seems long ago
My calloused heart and weary soul
Will turn in trust to You, You are with me still

So, any worship leaders. Remember that it is NOT un-biblical to worship out of an acknowledged pain. In fact, some of the most powerful times of worship in the Bible come from difficult and uncertain times. We have some great examples: Job, David, Isaiah, Paul, and exc.

Here is the chorus:

You are with me still, Your love will endure
You are with me still, Your promise is sure
You are with me still, Your mercy remains
You are with me still, You give strength as I wait

"Lord, help us to understand that You are with us. Help us to place our trust in You. Because we know that You are stronger. In our weakness You are strong. We know that Your love will endure, we know that Your promise is sure and true, we look to You in our despair and our sorrow. And we ask for Your strength to help us wait."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Driving beat, strong base, historical reminicense of treasured learning experiences, a realization that those truths still remain unrefutable. The fact that HE is with us STILL and that his promise is SURE, is comforting.....a statement of personal and corporate faith. I like it.....

Post a Comment